What’s the Chinese New Year all about? Read below and see you can celebrate with this easy-to-make craft; Chinese Felt Fortune Cookies!
The Chinese festival marking the start of the new year, beginning on the second new moon after the winter solstice and ending on the full moon fifteen days later. It is marked by visits to family and friends, special meals, fireworks, and gift giving.
Any time we can give thanks and bless our family with good fortune, I’m all over it. And with one son graduating and one going into the military, I feel like I need to take extra measures to make sure my kiddos are reminded of their blessings. While the real Chinese traditions don’t celebrate with fortune cookies, I’m sure they won’t mind terribly if we Americans partake with a our own fun methods. At least I hope not!
These felt fortune cookies are super cute, lots of fun, and very easy to make. This might be a fun thing to make for your kiddo’s classroom, and along with their fortune, you can add a piece of candy or something! Little hands will be able to help you too. There are just a few steps so lets get started.
Chinese New Year Felt Fortune Cookies Craft
- Felt (Red is said to mean good luck and ward off evil)
- Fuzzy sticks
- Sticky Back Velcro ‘coins’ (these are in sewing section at Walmart)
- Biscuit cutter or something round to trace circle
- Fortune sayings, printed and cut out into strips
- Using your circle template, trace circles onto the felt, and cut out.
- Cut fuzzy sticks down to a size that will fit in the middle of circles, making sure they are shorter than width.
- Glue fuzzy stick in middle of circle. I used fast grab tacky glue but you could use a glue gun.
- Peel the velcro coins and place them on opposite sides of eachother, like in photo.
- Place fortune sayings into each cookie. Velcro shut and pinch.