Recipe was submitted into February’s Food Challenge (2011) by Sherri W.
- 1 lg. bunch of fresh collards (wash, cut and trimmed)
- 3 lg. country cured hocks (smoked hocks, smoked turkey wings)
- 1 lg. chopped onion
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1-1 1/2 cups of dry white wine
- 3 tbsp. lard
- 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- seasoning salt to taste
- 1 tbsp of sugar
1. add 1 tbsp of lard to a large hot stock pot, stir fry onion and garlic until translucent.
2. add 1 1/2- 2 quarts of water, seasoning salt, red pepper and hocks to pot. bring to a boil. cook on low-medium to medium heat for about 1 hour until meat is tender
3. add collards, wine, sugar and remaining lard to pot and simmer for an hour.
4. add more seasoning as needed.
Serve with some homemade buttermilk cornbread…