Grandma’s Homemade Banana Pudding

Grandma’s Banana Pudding from scratch….there just aint’ nothin’ like this out there that tastes so good!  This is the most requested food dish that family members ask me to bring to holiday get-togethers and any other time I can.  My grandmother made some of the best treats ever and this ranks #1 on my list.  I’m republishing this due to it’s popularity so enjoy and check out her other recipes if you get a chance.

Ingredients…..                                                                                                Here’s all the good stuff cooking in the saucepan……

While you’re cooking the the stuff in the pot, you can slice your bananas and layer your wafers & bananas. Don’t forget to keep stirring your pudding though.

Once your pudding is done, add the butter and vanilla.  Remember, I double my recipe so that’s why there is more in my pudding!  Now that it’s done, you pour into your dish with your wafers and bananas.

This is where the extra wafers come in.  Crush them up and sprinkle on top. Sprinkle and Viola!

Remember to refrigerate….once nice and cold, sit back and enjoy!!!

Comments

Dani says

Thank you so much for this recipe! I made it for this for family and they went crazy over it! It was absolutely delicious! Thanks again!!! I will DEFINITELY be making this again!

Patricia says

the wafers in the picture combined with banana look toasted.. are they?

Jessi P. says

Love the pictures!!! :)

Tess says

This is a good recipe. Can you tell me an estimation for how long you let it cook til its done?

Liz says

Can u give me the measurements u use to double ur recipe? About how many people does this feed when doubled?

Liz says

Ok, so if u 3x this recipe how much butter and vanilla do u use?

MD says

Thanks for the recipe! Yours is one of the simplest and I can make it in China. :)

gailkindor says

okay small ? i need to know if i have a 17 , a 10,and a 7 year old brother plus my little sister 3 plus my dad who could eat a house my mom and me. how many times should i times this 3x 2x.
    P.S. i want left overs!!

Monkey's Mom says

I’m glad I found this. My little monkey’s 1st birthday is in July. We are hosting the family and instead of cake, I want to make banana pudding (we are having a pig pickin’). If the party is Saturday, can I make this as early as Thursday night?

Holly Hudspeth says

We just made this and it’s cooling. I’m supposed to take it to a pot luck but I don’t know if it’s going to be around that long! I licked the pan it was so good ;) It’s 4th of July weekend and we will make this a few more times because I know it’s going to be amazing!!!!
    So easy. I had the ingredients in the fridge and my kids helped which was super fun. Thanks for sharing it.

heddy says

hey, can’t wait to try this but what temp do i use? does it have to boil?

Ann says

I’ve never made banana pudding before in my life – how many bananas for regular batch n how many tripled? I’m making it for a coworkers bday tomorrow. Just learned its her favorite!

Dianne says

I just made my mother’s recipe which is very close to the one you show. Instead of vanilla flavoring, I substitute Creme de Banana (LOL) and use about 2 tablespoons. I also put meringue on mine instead of the wafer crumbs. Also, be sure to generously sprinkle banana slices with some lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. (I forgot to purchase whole milk yesterday and had to make it with 2% but it seems to be okay.

Cam says

This is the same recipe that my Grandmother used. I have tweeked it and use fat free half and half and evaporated milk instead of whole milk, and I use cornstarch now instead of flour. (gluten intolerant). And, I don’t do crushed Nilla’s, or Meringue. I do Redi Whip. Thanks for the Tip Dianne, I didn’t know about the lemon juice: I hate brown bananas.

Eric says

yummy! We do a lot of dessert catering for events and weddings – I would love to serve that!

Carolyn Roberson says

Same as my grandmother’s! yummylicious

Heather says

I just made this recipe to use up bananas that were turning brown. It was very easy and very quick to make. I used graham crackers instead of vanilla wafers and it is delicious. Its cooling now and can’t wait for it to be ready. Thanks, I will be keeping this recipe handy!!

Susan says

Thanks so much for this great, yet easy, recipe! I was searching the internet for a quick banana pudding recipe and found yours to be the simplest so far! My hubby (a native Texan) loves banana pudding and I (a native New Yorker) have never made it. I didn’t want to resort to the box mix. I’m going to try your recipe today and I’ll definitely let you know how it turns out. Thanks again! :)

• 84

Susan says

Just a quick follow-up…
      I’ve made this twice since my initial comment. The first time, I used flour, but found the end result was somewhat “gritty”, so I switched to corn starch the second time and it was perfectly creamy and smoothe! Delicious! Thanks again for the recipe :)

• 85

Sharon Harper says

Thanks for sharing Banana. Pudding recipe. I am looking forward to more yummy recipes soon.