One last Halloween treat for you guys! These Witches Brooms are cute and tasty! One recommendation would be to use your own peanut butter cookie dough recipe or even the store bought roll. This one was okay but I’ve had better. And of course you can make your own orange icing or you can buy ones like Wilton’s Squeeze bottle icing. Let me know if you guys try them for yourself. And if you enjoy the Halloween Season, have a spooooky and safe time!
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10 pretzel rods, about 8 1/2 inches long, cut crosswise in half
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Butterscotch-flavored chips, melted
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Mix brown sugar, butter, water and vanilla in medium bowl. Stir in flour and salt. Shape dough into twenty 1 1/4-inch balls.
2. Place pretzel rod halves on ungreased cookie sheet. Press ball of dough onto cut end of each pretzel rod. Press dough with fork to resemble “bristles” of broom.
3. Bake about 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely on wire rack, about 30 minutes.
4. Cover cookie sheet with waxed paper. Place brooms on waxed paper. Heat shortening and chocolate chips over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth; remove from heat. Spoon melted chocolate over brooms, leaving about 1 inch at top of pretzel handle and bottom halves of cookie bristles uncovered. Drizzle with melted butterscotch chips. Let stand until chocolate is set.
Makes 20 snacks.