For our family the perfect muffin has to be healthy and also nut free (my daughter’s daycare is nut free), low carb for me and yet still delicious and moist for my husband. I’m not an expert baker so I wanted something that would be quick and easy to make and relatively foolproof. After combining a couple of recipes and tweaking a little we have found the one that works for us.
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 6 eggs (at room temperature)
- ½ teaspoon coconut essence
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup Xylitol
- 1 teaspoon Stevia (Nu Naturals)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut (we use organic unsweetened low fat)
- 1 cup coconut flour (best sifted – we use Bob’s Red Mill)
- ½ cup cocoa (best sifted – we use Green & Blacks Organic Fair Trade Cocoa)
- ¾ cup chocolate chips (we use Sunspire Organic 65% Cocoa Bittersweet Chocolate Chips)
Preheat oven 375 degrees – To help keep the muffins moist we add moisture to the oven in the form of steam by placing a pyrex dish filled with water on the bottom of the over while preheating.
- Soften the butter and if your coconut oil is solid soften that too
- In a large mixing bowl mix coconut oil, eggs, coconut essence, pinch of salt and xylitol
- Separately mix the shredded coconut, coconut flour, cocoa and chocolate chips (keep some of the chocolate chips to sprinkle on the top of each muffin
- Add half the dry mix into the wet mixture, add the heavy cream, add the remainder of the dry mix
- Grease the muffin trays/cups. We use spray coconut oil.
- Spoon into the silicon muffin trays or muffin cups (we make 12 large muffins and 12 mini muffins)
- Bake for 14-16 minutes. For us the mini muffins are ready at 14 minutes so we remove these and leave the large muffins in for a few more minutes – since your oven may bake a little differently you can check them with a toothpick and the leave them in a little longer if necessary.
Candice is a co-founder of Bidmycleaning.com, an online marketplace for cleaning services. Bidmycleaning was founded by her husband, Gavin and two partners. Candice and Gavin live in San Diego and have an ‘almost-four-year old’ daughter, also known as the baking assistant. Candice writes the Bidmycleaning Banter Blog where she talks about house cleaning, green cleaning and being eco-friendly.