With this tutorial, you will learn how to create a self hosted WordPress blog, with a custom domain name along with some bonus information.
Step 1. GET A DOMAIN
You get a free one when you sign up with most web hosts, however, it’s advisable to get your domain from a domain registrar. If you get the free domain given by any web hosts, the web host company will be the registrant of the domain, not YOU.
I recommend GoDaddy. Get YOUR DOMAIN HERE. If you have one already, skip this step.
Step 2: GETTING YOUR WEB HOST
My recommendation for a web host is HostGator. Their customer service rocks and they are reliable! If you can afford to pay by the year, I highly recommend that. If you can only afford to pay monthly, then scroll down for step by step instructions.
This is VERY important because you need a good host to support your new blog and domain. Unfortunately, not all web hosts allow you to pay monthly but lucky for you, HostGator does. They only have three shared hosting packages to choose from Hatchling, Baby, and Business but you need to make sure to choose the hosting package that is named “Baby” because that is the one you need for the coupon & setup to work! Remember to enter the word ( 1cent ) or ( hostgator) when it asks you for your promo or coupon code and a discount will be applied. What’s the discount? You will get your first month for only 1 cent! After that it will be $10 or less a month. IF you can afford to pay by the year(s), try using coupon code ( HOUSTON ) FOR $25 off any order or ( TWITTER ) for 20% off new orders.
*** You must complete the steps above before continuing on to the next step! ***
Once you’ve made your purchase, you’ll need to allow up to 48 hours for your domain to propagate, but it usually happens pretty within 5 minutes-2hrs. Once that has completed, you can now login in to your cPanel to install wordpress.
Step 3: SETTING UP YOUR BLOG WITH YOUR HOST
Remember that email that Host Gator sent you? There will be information in that email on how to login to your Cpanel. This Cpanel is where you are going to setup and edit certain aspects of your blog. I realize that it can be quite intimidating but it’s very simple to navigate and use. I promise to help you along the way so don’t fret;)
Once you are logged into your cpanel, you want to scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will see a blue smiley face that says “fantastico” – Click his face!
On the left, you will see a menu that say Blogs and 3 links under it. One will say WordPress – Click that WordPress link!
In the middle of the screen you will see something that says “New Installation” – Click on that dark blue link and it will automatically install your blog for you. It will ask you a few questions so that you can set up your blog now…
Here are these questions and what you should type in to install wordpress:
INSTALL IN DIRECTORY: Leave this blank guys!!!
*** Below in red – whatever username and password you decide on I URGE you to
write these down NOW before you proceed – you’ll need them in a few minutes again and you may forget)
- Administrator-username: Enter the name of your new blog (same as your domain but without the www. and also with the .com – just the text name of it with NO spaces! For example…if your domain name was www.mynewblog.com you would just enter the name (mynewblog) and that’s all.
- Password: Enter a password for your new blog – ONLY you will use this
Then it says: Base Configuration
- Now it asks for an admin nickname: Enter the same username you did above
- Admin e-mail: Just enter any email address you want here (your main email address is best)
- Site name: Just enter the name of your new blog here
- Description: Enter the description (keep it really short) for your new blog here.
Then it says: E-mail account configuration
- Now here you are setting up a custom email address that is associated with your blog. So you can type in here whatever you want to go before the @yourdomainname.com. For example if my domain name was www.yourdomainhere.com and I would want to make my email [email protected] You can use contact if you would like to be general about it. This has to be filled out but you don’t have to use this email after setting it up.
- Next it asks you to set a password for that email address you just created…
Skip the next two lines that read: POP/SMTP server and POP/SMTP server port. Leave them as is – DO not erase nor type anything in these boxes!!!
- Now Click The Button At The Bottom That Says INSTALL WORDPRESS. Now some text will appear and it says step 2/3 , Just click the FINISH INSTALLATION button at the bottom! Once you click that button, a lot of useful info will appear so I recommend you print this next page and save for your records!
Write these details down. Also it should appear that your blog should be set up as follows:
So it should be your domain name and /wp-admin at the end.
That is the link you will need ALWAYS from now on to edit your new blog!
* BOOKMARK IT AND WRITE IT DOWN *
Step 4: BLOG LOGIN & CUSTOMIZING THEME
Now once you go to that URL they gave you with the /wp-admin at the end… it will ask you for a username and password. This is the username you typed in during sign up under “Install in Directory” (listed above in RED) Same as the password!
CONGRATULATIONS!! YOU HAVE JUST CREATED A BLOG.
You are now logged into your new blog – Whew! Quite a task eh? See Part two to learn how to pick a theme, add widgets, and write your first post.