Snack attack time! School is out, it’s Summer time and the kids are hungry but don’t fret parents, Chili-Cheese Dogs to the rescue. Of course you can always heat up a corn dog but a chili dog with cheese in a blanket is way better! What I love about this recipe is that the kiddos can help you make them. By doubling the recipe, you can be sure that you are making enough for everyone or even for a picnic!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound of ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (13.8oz) tube refrigerator pizza dough
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 hot dog wieners
Preheat the oven to 400′
- Heat the oil in small pot over medium high heat. Add the meat and brown. Season meat with chili powder, garlic, onion and salt & pepper. Add the tomato paste and stir; then addd 1/4 cup water to help loosen the tomato paste. Simmer for 5 minutes and turn off heat.
- Roll out the pizza dough into a big rectangle. Cut the dough in half lengthwise with a small knife. Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces across so that you end up with 8 small rectangular pieces of dough. Across the center of each rectangle, place a couple of spoonfuls of chili sauce and sprinkle a small handful of cheese on top. Set the dog on the dough and wrap and roll the pizza dough around teh dog as you would for pigs in a blanket, sealing in the chili and cheese. The nubs of each end of the dog should be peeking out. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 18 minutes or until brown.
The little helpers can measure ingredients, shred the cheese, and roll the dogs in blankets.