With the holiday season approaching, you’ll begin to start seeing lots of new seasonal foods on the shelves. This year, Oreo has brought you a new flavor of cookies; Gingerbread. Sometimes seasonal foods lack enough spice to give you a full flavor but these Gingerbread Oreo cookies were not lacking in flavor at all. They were delicious!!
These are great to eat out of the package but I wanted to do something different with them. I wanted to incorporate them for the holidays and when I think of holidays, I think about pies! I just needed to figure out what kind of pie would go good with the gingerbread flavoring. I ultimately decided on a lemon custard. I really thought the two would compliment each other well. I used my food processor to grind up the cookies to create the crust and since they have the delicious filling in-between the cookies, I didn’t need to use butter to hold it together.
If you were gonna make a recipe using these cookies, what would you make?
Lemon Custard with Gingerbread Cookie Crust
By October 17, 2012Published:
- Yield: 1-8inch Shallow Pie
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 4 hrs 20 mins
Easy lemon custard with seasonal Oreo gingerbread cookies.
- 15 Gingerbread Oreo Cookies finely chopped
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tsp lemon zest optional
- Using a food processor, grind up the Oreo cookies until finely chopped; spread in pie plate and press down to form crust.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, and lemon juice in a double boiler over simmering water until mixed well, then continue to stir until thick, 7-10 minutes.
- Drain through a mesh sleeve to remove any lumps. Fold in butter until well incorporated. Mix in lemon zest. Cover curd and chill in the fridge until it has thickened, about 4 hours.
Copyright © A Cowboy's Wife
Disclosure: I am an official Walmart Mom. Walmart has provided me with compensation and gift card in return for my time & efforts to create this post. My participation in this program is voluntary and my opinions are my own, always have been, always will be.