I know from experience how chaotic & busy life can be and trying to find something to make for supper should be at least one thing you don’t have to worry about. Walmart wants to help with their new Meal Solutions and as a Walmart Mom, I’m here to give you my take and spin on the meal solution that works for our family. Having such a diverse group of friends and readers, I’ve learned that there are a million different things you can to do to recreate a meal.
First off, the list of foods that Walmart gave for this particular meal solution are:
- Manwich Original Sloppy Joes 26.5 oz for $2.12
- Lipton (Knorr) Rice Sides, Cheddar Broccoli 5.4 oz for $1.00
- Great Value Hamburger Buns 12 oz $1.06
- Lipton (Knorr) Rice Sides, Chicken 5.45 oz for $1.00
- Kraft Velveeta Shells & Cheese 12 oz $1.75
- Bush’s Original Baked Beans 16 oz $.94
Now by just looking at the ingredients, you can clearly see that there isn’t any vegetables involved (aside from the bits of broccoli in the Rice Sides & beans–are beans a vegetable? hehe), which is a problem for us. I always have a good helping of vegetables in every single meal I make so I needed to find a way to incorporate those. I also see that if I choose to pick the Cheddar & Broccoli Rice Side, then I probably don’t need another helping of Velveeta Shells & Cheese.
PRODUCTS I’M OMITTING
For my meal solution, I will be not using the Kraft Velveeta Shells & Cheese or the Lipton Rice Sides, Chicken.
I will be using the Manwich, the Great Value Buns, the Lipton Rice Sides-Cheddar Broccoli, and the Bush’s Beans. We have NEVER had Manwich to be honest. We’ve always made our sloppy joes with ketchup and mustard with a little salt & pepper and seems to be quite popular here in the Falcon home so I wanted to not mess with our sloppy joe tradition so I found a new way to use the Manwich.
MY MEAL SOLUTION
SLOPPY JOES with ROAST
- Can of Manwich
- Roast (we use a 5lb roast)
- Water and Salt & Pepper
- Great Value Hamburger Buns
- Add a roast to a crock pot. I used a 5lb roast to have plenty for leftovers. Add the can of Manwich, some water to cover, and a little salt & pepper. Cover and cook on low or high until done. We wanted it for lunch the next day so started it late at night, placed on high and cooked overnight.
- Right before you are ready to serve the roast, butter & toast the Great Value Hamburger Buns on both sides. (I sprayed with Smart Butter)
Serve your sloppy joe roast on the toasted buns.
LIPTON RICE SIDES, CHEDDAR & BROCCOLI and CAULIFLOWER
- Lipton Rice Sides, Cheddar & Broccoli
- A bag of frozen broccoli or broccoli & cauliflower mix.
- Cook the Lipton Rice Sides just like the directions call for except add more broccoli. I chose to add Great Value’s Broccoli & Cauliflower mix to it. For two bags of Rice & Sides, I added a whole 16 oz. bag.
You can see the added vegetables. It’s a great way to sneak a few more in and since it’s mixed with rice & cheese, the kids won’t even notice.
Serve both with Bush’s Baked Beans, warmed.
So as you can see, I still used the ingredients they provided for their meal solution but added a couple of twists to the actual sloppy joes and the Rice Sides.
I’d love to know what YOUR meal solution would be. What would you do to change it up?
Disclosure: Walmart has provided me with compensation and a gift card in return for this post. Participation in this program is voluntary. All opinions are my own, always have been, always will be. Read my full disclosure and blogging ethics. There will be more meal solution posts to come so be on the lookout!