Ranch Rolls Made from Scratch

There is nothing better than fresh, baked bread.  I already have a dinner roll recipe that gets rave reviews from my readers but I think these ranch rolls, made from scratch, will beat it!

This recipe belongs to a fella who once cooked for a ranch. I’m not sure if it was a hunting ranch or cattle ranch but when he left there (and he was there a long time), he finally shared the recipe with a friend of mine and she shared it with me.  In a lot of ways, this recipe is a lot like my other but I could tell a difference in the dough.  It was probably one of the best doughs I’ve ever worked with.   And the rolls themselves?  Amazing!!  Slather some butter on them and you’re in heaven.   The recipe below makes a lot of rolls but I doubled it because my oldest son is obsessed with bread, fresh bread.  There were rolls everywhere and they were all gone in less than one full day.  Yep, they were THAT good!  Thank you for sharing the recipe Marty!

Comments

Those look incredible Lori. I would love to pour some sausage gravy over a couple. (I think my mom has a green bowl like yours except the thing is older than I am).

• 2

Thanks Cat! And that bowl is pretty old but it’s perfect for big batches of tamales, tortillas, and bread. I LOVE IT! I have an obsession with all things old and would kill for a set of the colorful vintage pyrex bowls. :)

Andrea says

They look delicious Lori! I’ll have to try them sometime for dinner.

Lisa P says

The rolls look great but I have two questions. Did you use self-rising or all purpose flour? What temp. was the water? I just found your site and can’t wait to try a few things.

• 6

Hi Lisa! I’ll definitely update the recipe with all purpose flour. I have no clue what the temperature was of the water, which is why I just put warm. Sorry! Thanks for visiting!!

I’ve been waiting for this recipe Lori. Your oldest son and I could probably eat our weight in those rolls. I can’t wait to try this recipe. My mom had a bowl just like the one you used. Brings back memories.

Rhonda says

Those rolls look delicious. I’m going to try your recipe for Christmas dinner. Wish me luck, I’m not much of a baker. Any particular brand of yeast that you use?

• 10

No Rhonda, I think I just used the packets of active dry (not rapid rise) but I’m rapid rise would be fine if you’re in a hurry. I just buy whatever is at our store…. Let me know how they turn out!

• 11

Rhonda says

I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes. My grandchildren love rolls, and I’m willing to try anything for my little sweeties. I need to figure out what you mean by piinching the dough, lol. Can you tell that I’ve never baked bread before?

These look so yummy! I know my family will love them!

jessi says

I’ve never made rolls but always wanted to, what do you mean by pinching off rolls ? I’ve never been one to enjoy rolling and cutting …

Lauralee Hensley says

I like that the recipe uses oil and not shortening.

Lauralee Hensley says

Since your rolls raised so well, I would suspect your water temp was between 105 and 115, much above 115 tends to kill the yeast and the product won’t rise.

Woodstock49 says

I made these today and while they had the texture I was looking for, they had no flavor whatsoever! I think they needed salt added to flour before mixing. I will make them again but with the addition of salt. Has no one else noticed the lack of flavor?

They look like they might be softer than the average roll. Will definitely have to try!

Nadene Delaney says

Hey Ya’ll,
    Try using applesauce (same amount) instead of oil. I use it often in many recipies except things
    like cookies (it just doesn’t seem to stick together correctly).

Hugs & Blessings
    Nadene

Holly Griffin says

Could you freeze these before baking? I am always looking for a good biscuit recipe to freeze before baking so I can just pop a few out and bake for my husbands breakfast when he is in nightshift. I make breakfast for him to save money and the frozen biscuits from the store are ok it I would much rather have nice homemade to make him.

Vic Blu says

Is this dough supposed to be super wet? Was unbelievably wet even after adding extra flour. Also nowhere in your directions does it say to do a second rise? I followed the pinch pre-heat bake and my rolls look nothing like yours . :-( Sigh….

muriel says

can you use whole wheat in these biscuits muriel

• 25

Good questions Muriel. To be honest, I have no clue as I have never used whole wheat to make rolls. Wish I was more help! Let me know if you try it and how it works out.

Shari says

I wonder how the rolls would do if you pinched them off and baked them in muffin or cupcake tins?

LaNette Whiteside says

I sometimes use leftover dough from my Granny’s roll recipe (been in the family for at least 30 yrs) to make a small pan of cinnamon rolls. I was just wondering if you had ever used this dough for cinnamon rolls. I hadn’t got to make them yet…just now found the recipe! Can’t wait to give them a whirl! Thanks for sharing!