Simple Apple Cobbler Using a Cake Mix

I remember when I first learned how to make this cobbler.  I was cooking for the ranch and the neighboring cook always made this great apple cobbler.  When I asked, she said that she uses a cake mix, 1 or 2 cans of filling, and a can of sprite or butter.  We made it with sprite and it was great but we liked it with butter better, especially for the days I’d serve ice cream with it.    It’s a very simple recipe and a favorite in the family.  Enjoy!

Recipe: Caramel Apple Cobbler Using a Cake Mix

Ingredients

• Cake Mix – We prefer a butter, butter pecan or something plain.
  • 2 cans of pie filling – That Caramel Apple is TO DIE FOR!
  • 2 sticks of butter or you can use a can of sprite

Instructions

1. Pour filling into bottom of a 8×11 casserole pan. Spray the pan with nonstick spray first.  Pour dry cake mix over filling.  If using the butter, melt butter first and pour on top of cake mix.  If using sprite, pour sprite over cake mix until covered well.  Bake at 350′ for 45-60 minutes.  My oven is horrible and cooking times are so odd which is why I gave such a big time gap there.  Bake until golden brown!

Comments

This is one of my favorite desserts Lori! some people call it a apple dump cake. I like to add pecans at times, but my kids don’t like nuts. I have never made it with caramel apple pie filling. Where did you find that at? My favorite recipes are ones that utilize a cake mix. You cobbler looks divine and delicious all rolled into one. Thanks for sharing.

• 2

karen says

I to call it dump cake. We also use a can of crushed pineapple on the bottom with the juice then the can of pie filling whatever kind and topped with cake mix and butter….its so good warm with vanilla ice cream

• 3

I made this today and it was a hit!! I cooked mine at 350 for 48 minutes, and it was great with vanilla ice cream on the side!! I found the caramel apple pie filling at Walmart.

• 4

Pam Hussey says

Hi…you can find this oh so yummy pie filling during the fall…we found it at our walmart, just yesterday…:o)

Dee says

This I have GOT to try. Looks so moist and delicious. Wonder how it would work in smaller pans to be able to freeze part of it.

I am so thrilled that you included the recipe with Sprite…I try to cook with cholesterol in mind, so any recipe that requires two sticks of butter would be automatically out the window…which is a bummer. But, with Sprite, wow, that makes this do-able! I can’t wait to try this!!

• 7

Alisa says

You can make it with just one stick of butter & it will still turn out yummy – but the crust wont’ be a “yummy” in some spots as the butter is not enough to quite cover it all. But the filling keeps everythings moist.

Cobbler, yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Paula says

I made the Apple Cobbler this morning. I couldn’t find the carmel apple pie filling, so I used 2 cans of apple pie filling and drizzled a carmel sudae syrup over the top of the pie filling. I used a yellow cake mix & the 2 sticks of butter. It was VERY rich. I was glad to see it can be made with 1 stick of butter and I can’t wait to try making it with the Sprite!
    I have already considered trying it with cherry pie filling and devil’s food cake mix as a Black Forest Cobbler. I think any variation will be great.

THANKS, so much for sharing this easy dessert!

• 10

rlbrandt says

i am so glad i read your comment…..i wanted to try the apple carmel but i’ve never seen it But i did have the syrup on hand….. thank you so much for this tip!

Ashley says

So yummy looking!!!

Carol says

Made this for my boy. They loved it.

Maya says

I can’t wait to make this for tonight my father he will love it as an early fathers day treat ..! Your cobbler looks Devine! I can’t wait to make it and heat it up with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top ThankYou far sharing Lori!

patricia earls says

I love the sound of this recipe Im going to try it today Ive got to go get the stuff to make it I hope my family likes mainly my kides Im not too good on makeing sweet things so we’ll see how it turns out

Sidney says

This looks delicious, can’t wait to try it. But am wondering if I could use 1 stick of butter and 1/2 can Sprite instead of 2 sticks butter?

CDT says

Could someone explain how the sprite works? I have never heard of it before and am curious how it can take the place of butter.

Lisa says

I make this as lot with cherry pie filling and white cake. I don’t melt the butter, just cut in veey thin slices over the top. I might try melting next time. Can’t wait to try this.

Christina says

This may sound stupid but for the dry cake mix do you make it as the instructions call for or just dump the dry cake mix with the butter on top of it?

Michael says

I just got all my ingredients in the pan, and it’s about to hit the oven!!! I can’t wait to try this scrumptious sounding treat!!! I bought extra caramel to drizzle on top the vanilla ice cream!!! #mouthwatering

Val says

You could also sub applesauce for the butter, lower calorie and fat that way.

Lauren says

What size can is the pie filling?

Artemis says

I’ve made recipe similar to this-it’s so flexible. I used a can of pineapple chunks in thei rown juice & can of cherry pie filling… delsh! but haven’t tried it in long time so thanks for reminding me how much butter to use -had forgotten!

Jaime says

I tried this recipe & took it to work for an Apple Throw-down we had. It won 1st place out of 20 dishes! A definite keeper:)

Oh, and I used a 3QT Pyrex which is like a 9×12 or 13 and still only used 1.5 sticks of butter, not 2.

Brooke says

Made this last night using apple pie filling and drizzled some caramel topping before adding the cake mix since I could not find the Caramel Apple Pie filling at our local store. I also mixed into the apples (to taste) apple pie spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves). Was very yummy and quite a hit at the games night event. I served with cool whip, but was wishing for vanilla ice cream.

This apple cobbler is a keeper 3 ingredients! Awesome quick dessert.

pat says

i just made this..i put 1/4c of brown sugar w the apple filling…the instead of 2sticks of butter i used a full c of apple sauce and only 1/2stick melted buttert..and topped w pecans..and drizzled carmel topping on top..WOW O WOW…im gonna try adding pineapple next time..or maybe raisins….for a twist.

Hi!
    Your recipe showed up on Pinterest.
    I hope you don’t mind that I linked to this post from my blog at http://www.SoapArtOnline.blogspot.com.
    I tweaked the recipe a bit.
    It’s so quick and easy, and absolutely delicious!
    Thanks for the recipe, and please let me know if you’d like the link removed from my blog.

Sonya says

I made this for an after supper dessert and it was awesome! The family loved it! Thanks for sharing.:-)

Regina Lane says

This sounds delicious!!

• 34

Becky says

I made this tonight in a toaster oven so I didn’t have to heat up the kitchen but after 39 minutes it started to burn. I am going to try it again in a regular oven and only use 1 1/2 sticks of butter; hope it turns out better next time.

Lisa says

Devils Food cake mix w/ cherry pie filling is to die for too!!! Soooo easy and delishhhhhh!! :)

Kasey says

I’m going to try this tonight! The Carmel Apple pie filling is seasonal here in the Midwest. Since its October, I was able to find it at my local Walmart. If this is as delish as I think it’s gonna be, I may have to stock up on that pie filling :)

Nikki says

i want to use apples instead of a pie filling. how many should i use and should i add anything?

thanks!

• 38

Hi Nikki,
      I honestly have no clue….that would defeat the whole purpose of the 3 ingredient easy cobbler. lol ;)

• 39

Sandi says

I didn’t have any pie filling so I cut up some apples I had just bought at the apple orchard. I peeled them, mixed in a couple of tablespoons of flour. some white and brown sugar, a little water and some pumpkin pie seasoning. I put them in the microwave for about five minutes until the apples were soft and went from there. I mixed Mrs. Richardsons caramel/butterscotch sauce on top in the apples. I also sprinkled the top with toffee chips and it was DELICIOUS!!! I’ve also made this type of recipe with pumpkin pie mix and it’s always a hit as well.

Chris D says

I, like others couldn’t find the caramel apple pie filling so like the other posters I just bought caramel sauce and drizzled HEAVILY (LoL) over the filling. I also sprinkled Jamaican Rum over the apple pie filling and caramel sauce for a twist! It was HEAVENLY!!!

Tammy Von Rippen says

Hi,
    Where do you find the can Caramel Apples.
    I live in San Antonio , Texas
    Sounds like a great cobbler.. Thanks

Lisa holland says

I couldn’t find the caramel apple pie filling so I used regular apple pie filling and sliced 10 caramel candies (about 1/8″ thick) and put over filling. Turned out great! Thanks for recipe :)

• 43

Valerie Eberhart says

I searched on line for the Carmal Apple filling and found it a WalMart. I was told by it is a seanonal item and it was in the center isle with the other seanonal backing items, Hope this helps!

Jennaf says

I could not find the caramel apple pie filling, instead I used regular applie pie filling and bought caramel cake mix. It was excellent!!!!

Amanda says

This looks soooo good! I added it to my Stuffdot so I remember to try this next time people are staying at our house. It would be perfect with brunch and the three ingredients wouldn’t keep me in the kitchen all morning instead of visiting.

venita says

I used your recipe with minor changes….I used regular apple pie filling & added i can of sweetened condenced milk that I had boiled into caramel , added a Tbs. cinnamon & topped with pecan pieces before baking……It was to die for. Thanks for sharing.

meg says

can diet Sprite be used?

Renee says

Enjoyed this cobbler. Used one can of caramel apple, 1 stick butter and half can of sprite. Baked for 30 minutes. Came out wonderful. Crisp on top with a very caramel flavor. Next time may add some apple pie spice and more cooked apples rather than the 2nd can of apple pie filling so it doesn’t good overly sweet. Will definitely make again. Thanks for a delicious recipe.

sandjrose says

Its in the oven now. There are only 2 of us tonight so I cut the recipe in half… we shall see what happens. Wish me luck!

Jennifer says

I can’t wait to make this. I have all the ingredients except I can’t find the Carmel apple pie filling :( so I got apple pie filling and Carmel topping! Will mix together & see how it turns out!!!

christine jackson says

How does it taste/hold up cold, if not eaten all when hot and yummy ?

Nancy says

Made this tonight and it is delicious! !! I didn’t have the Carmel apple filling so I just doctored my plain apple filling with apple pie spices. Big hit at my house.

Nancy says

We love lemon. Any suggestions for lemon pie filling?

VIVIAN JARVIS says

I’ve made this for years & have never known it by any other name than dump cake. Apple is not a family favorite so I generally use blueberry, blackberry, cherry, or peach pie filling. My personal favorite is the cherry with chocolate dry cake mix. I’ve used both Sprite & 7-Up but the again my preference is the butter for a richer flavor.

Andrea Purdun says

Spice Cake+apple pie filling=Yummy……..and I am thinking if you like lemon then maybe a lemon cake mix with blueberry pie filling would be yummy too!

Heather Candee says

My mom taught us how to make this as kids, but with peaches and/or cherries. I can’t wait to try it with this apple filling!

Rona says

I have been making this for many years. We called it dump cake. We use blueberry and 1 small can crushed pineapple drained really well. Blueberry is our favorite but strawberry and cherry pie filling is also good. I make this for potluck desserts and always get folks asking for the recipe.

Karen says

Sounds so delicious… a must try!

Rebecca says

Oh mama, this recipe sounds so wonderful with the caramel!!! Thanks so much for sharing it! :)

Terri-Beth Reed says

I love your site. I’ve been looking for one like this. I was born in KS then transplanted to the sierras in CA when 5 yrs old. My step family were ranchers & it fit me like a glove. I miss those days now that am about to be 60. Lol but fond memories.

Bonnie says

If you beat an egg, and mix it in with the cake mix until it’s crumbly, your crust will turn out incredible!!

Terri says

I so glad I read the complete recipe first! LOL My son almost dumped the pie filling in the pan when I yelled STOP! what are you doing? He said he was following the recipe! Well first thing is says to do is “Pour filling into bottom of a 8×11 casserole pan”.Spray the pan with nonstick spray first. LOL, he will learn!! :)

brandy says

Could you make this in a Crockpot? That way it stays warm at gatherings… if so, donyou have any ideas on what setting and for how long to cook it for?Thanks for any help!:)