Perhaps I am getting old but I’m finding birdwatching a fun, new hobby these days. I love my hummingbirds but hear Orioles are pretty and fun to watch too so I’m gonna lure them in with this easy, budget-friendly bird feeder with some delicious fruit! Oh! Mother’s Day is right around the corner too!! I know my Mom loves to watch birds. This would be a great gift that you or the grandkiddos can make and put their own creative twist on so keep it in mind!
First off, you can use any wire you have laying around but it will need to be strong enough to make sure it holds the fruit in and doesn’t spring ‘down and out’. I used floral wire but even on strand isn’t strong enough so I used two and twisted them together. You can also use apples or oranges as your fruit. I chose oranges to add a little color to my dull tree. You can definitely change up the shape a bit too! Just make sure your fruit will hold in well with whatever shape you decide to create. With the floral wire coming in at around $3 and oranges even less, this would be a fun gift idea for the gardener or bird watcher in your life.
I’d love to hear about your DIY bird feeder projects; what you’ve made, what birds you like to attract, etc.
Tutorial: Attract Orioles – Spring DIY Bird Feeder for Under $5
- 2 Strands of Floral Wire (or your wire of choice)
- Oranges (or apples)
- Any pair of pliers you have laying around the house
- Intertwine your 2 strands of wire together to make one strong piece.
- Using your pliers, hold the beginning piece of wire straight and begin to coil around and upwards, leaving about 4″ uncoiled.
- Take that 4″ and make a loop out of it. This will be your hanger so that you can hang it from a tree limb or hook.
And just for kicks, here’s a photo of my hummingbird!