I’m not a huge tomato fan but I do think they are important to have your diet and below are just a few of the reasons why you should incorporate them into your daily eating.
Reduction in Heart Disease Risk
Tomatoes are a very good source of potassium and a good source of niacin, vitamin B6, and folate. Niacin has been used for years as a safe way to lower high cholesterol levels. Diets rich in potassium have been shown to lower high blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Diets Rich in Tomato Products Significantly Improve Cholesterol
A high dietary intake of tomato products significantly reduced total and LDL cholesterol levels. While drinking 13.5 ounces of plain tomato juice every day may seem a bit challenging, enjoying a cup of tomato juice with lunch, a cup of hot tomato juice into which an ounce of tomato ketchup has been stirred along with some freshly ground pepper as an afternoon “soup” break, and/or a Virgin Mary (the alcohol-free counterpart to the Blood Mary) before dinner would provide some taste diversity.
More Help against Colon Cancer, Diabetes, and Migraines
So how else can tomatoes help? The folate in tomatoes can also help to reduce the risk of colon cancer. In addition, tomatoes are a good source of riboflavin, which has been shown to be helpful for reducing the frequency of migraine attacks in those who suffer from them. A good intake of chromium, a mineral of which tomatoes are a good source, has been shown to help diabetic patients keep their blood sugar levels under control.
More stuff to know…….
- 1. A large consumption of tomato can help improve skin texture and color.
- 2. Tomato is a good blood purifier.
- 3. Tomato helps in cases of congestion of the liver (protects the liver from cirrhosis) as well as for dissolving gallstones.
- 4. Tomato is a natural antiseptic therefore it can help protect against infection Nicotinic acid in tomatoes can help to reduce blood cholesterol, thus helps prevent heart diseases.
- 5. Vitamin K in tomatoes helps to prevent hemorrhages.
- 6. Tomato contain lycopene (the red pigment in tomato), this pigment is a powerful antioxidant that can also fight cancer cells.
A recipe to try.
One of our favorites recipes where tomatoes are one of the main ingredients, is my Tomato Cucumber Salad. It’s very easy and very good and great for summer get-togethers.