Pound cake is great, but pound cake with a fruity topping is even greater! With this recipe, I decided to use Strawberries, Blueberries, and Bananas. With so much going on on the fruit side, I needed a balance to which I chose simple but tasty pound cake. This is a super easy recipe to make and is great when you’re short on time. While the baking of the pound cake is an hour at the least, everything is done within 15minutes. So, you ready for the recipe? Let’s git-r-done!
For the pound cake
- 1/2 pound butter (or 2 sticks), a little extra for the pan
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, a little extra for the pan
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the fruit topping
- 1 cup of strawberries (sliced)
- 1 cup of bananas (sliced)
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1/2 stick of butter
- whip cream (optional) I didn’t use it but it would be good!
First, preheat oven to 350′. CAKE: Cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar, a little at a time. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each one. Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to the previous mixture, alternating it with milk. Mix in vanilla. Pour into greased and floured loaf pans (2 of them) and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until a toothpick comes out clean.
During the last 10 minutes of baking time, heat a nonstick skillet and add your butter, sugar, cinnamon, brown sugar, and fruit. Saute for about 3-5 minutes.
Take out pound cake, cool, and slice. Pour sauteed fruit mixture over pound cake and devour!
Serve with whip cream if you like.