My son Toby leaves for Abilene Christian University very soon, while Truett will be entering the second grade. It hasn’t been until the last couple of weeks that it has really start to hit me that I will only have one boy at home. It’s not just that either, it’s the fact that Toby and Truett are soooooo close. Toby has always, since Truett was very little, been a very overprotective, awesome big brother. I don’t think either have any idea how much they’ll miss each other and it makes my heart heavy.
As we’ve slowly gathered items for Toby’s dorm room, he sorta raised an eyebrow when I mentioned that he needed Kleenex tissues. I explained that because they had a community bathroom and not their own private one, that he wouldn’t be able to just quickly grab tissue for a runny nose and that having some Kleenex at his bedside will be a nice convenience. I had to give a logical reason because, in truth, Toby could care less about the style of dorm room. He plans to study and sleep there, not host anyone. Of course, I wanted to spruce his dorm up just a bit so I bought some of these super cool Kleenex Oval Expression tissues in colorful chevron patterns. Who would have thought that you could have such Kleenex style with facial tissue? I bought several and put them all over the house but Toby’s preference was blue to do with his denim comforter. He said it was less girly that way. I totally get that.
As we count down the days until he leaves home for college, I have used my fair share of tissues. Since not much can cheer me up during this time, I can at least have a cute Kleenex design tissue box by my side to brighten the moment, right? Hey, whatever works you know?
Anyways, in honor of Toby heading to college, I wanted to share with you what Toby’s Dorm essentials are.
- Of course, Kleenex Expression Oval Facial Tissue boxes are especially handy when you don’t have your own bathroom to grab some TP. Plus, these super cute designs help spruce up a dull guy’s dorm room. And really, they are just soft and nice to have for blowing the nose. Yep.
- Having a desk lamp that can stretch out is pretty handy for when lazy bones doesn’t want to sit at the desk, but instead lay in bed.
- Fridge with dry erase board is fantastic for remembering birthdays and to-do’s.
- Towels! And if you’re lucky enough to have a special lady in your life to embroider their initials on them, that’s even better. Then you don’t have to worry about who’s taking your towels!
- Toby likes a clean environment so he definitely recommends a cordless vacuum for hard floors and area rugs.
- Coffee maker is a must. It can be used for coffee but also hot teas and may become a necessity during test time.
- Hangers y’all. There won’t be much drawer space for things so make you send hangers so they can hang up as much as possible.
- Gotta protect those electronics with a good surge protector. We recommend one with USB ports so that portable electronics can be charged without taking another plug.
- Bed throw pillows. There also won’t be much room for chairs so having these types of pillows will allow a friend to sit back against it on the bed. Kinda handy!
- And finally, not shown in the picture but totally an awesome essential to have….bonus tip for the GUYS……an umbrella!!! Thanks to Toby’s great Aunt Kathy, Toby has learned that an umbrella is absolutely necessary for two reasons. 1) obviously it will protect you from the rain and 2) it will protect you and the ladies from the rain. Yep, have an umbrella and that girl that doesn’t want to get her hair all wet will be running to get under that thing! Chick magnet yo!
So as I sit and watch my son sort through college emails and finalize everything, I remember when he was born and those tiny little fingers. I remember when he was 2 and so dramatic when he’d fall down, telling me he was bleeding. I remember when he was 13, running around the rain with his little bitty brother. I remember high school graduation and his chest boasting with pride. So even when away at college, I’ll always remember his beautiful smile…….and that my friends, is why I also need Kleenex Oval Expression Tissues.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided for my time & efforts courtesy of Kleenex + Walmart. All opinions and stories are my own, always heartfelt, and the truth. That’s just how I roll.