One of my favorite things to do during the school year, is to watch the kids play in all the sporting events. And not even just my kids, but other kids as well. Since this is a regular thing for us, I wanted to share our must-haves to survive sports during the school year. I also had to share these two cuties; Truett and his very good friend Katie. They obviously are supporting their Highland Hornets by rockin’ the jersey and cheerleader outfit!
1) FOOTBALL – Stadium Seats! If you’re an avid football fan like us, attending high school & junior high games, then you’ve gotta have good seats. Even the best stadiums in 6-man and 11-man football will make your booty hurt be night’s end. You may prefer seats with arms (many do), wide width (I’d need this), or just portability and comfort. You can buy these anywhere, however, I recommend not buying them from a sporting goods store. Walmart has low prices and as I’ve said before, buying anything at sporting good stores is just highway robbery!
2) ALL SPORTS – Back Pack or Tote bag! Don’t carry your purse ladies. Carry a backpack or tote bag. You’ll be able to stuff a blanket, camera, phone, wallet, snacks, chapstick, water, and even noise makers into this backpack to make it much easier to haul to all the games.
3) BASKETBALL – Sportsmanship! Oh man……I thought football has some hard core fans but basketball fan can be the WORST! Don’t be THAT person coming out of your chair, yelling at the ref, and pulling your hair out. Think about the kids watching…all the kids, not just the kids on the court.
4) TRACK – Cooler! Track is outside. Outside usually means super hot days. Those super hot track days, last ALL DAY. You need to stay hydrated and nibble. I can’t recommend a cooler enough. We all can’t afford to run to the concession stand every time we need some water. Am I right?
5) TRACK & GOLF– Visor & Sunscreen y’all! Sunscreen is a must during track season. Those days get hot, last forever, and can age you really quick! Protect your face with a visor or cap. It will keep your forehead from wrinkling up over the years too! HA!
6) GOLF – Shoes yo! Standing, standing, standing. Need I say more? Get some comfortable shoes…..and a visor. I recommend Dr. Scholl’s!
7) FOOTBALL – Ponchos or Umbrellas! I can’t tell you how many times we’ve watched our boys play football in the rain, soaking wet. And unless you’re a sissy girl, you’ll be right out there with them, wearing a poncho! Those boys can’t hear you yelling in support if you’re in the car! Umbrellas are okay but if you’re fighting winds (and we have before), it can be a pain to hold. You can get ponchos cheap y’all….usually under $5.
8) ALL SPORTS – Face Paint!!! You have to go into the season with the expectations of making playoffs and of course, you’ll need face paint if you do. Live a little y’all……it’s just paint!
9) ALL SPORTS – Dollar bills!! Okay, you can’t buy this one but you need to have plenty of $1 dollar bills. And personally, I’d recommend your kids work for an allowance for spending money at these games. Those dollars add up and it’s important for them to get some financial lessons in at an early age.
10) TRACK – Chairs! You can sit on the ground on a blanket but I highly recommend a chair. These are handy in other sports, as well as parties and rodeos. Great investment!
I think one of those spritzer fans would be a must-have too! Can you guys think of any others that are essential in getting through the school year’s sports season? Do share! Cowbell? Jerseys? Sanitizer? Anything?
Disclosure: I am an official Walmart Mom. Walmart has provided me with compensation and gift card in return for my time & efforts to create this post. Opinions are my own, always.