Breakfast casseroles are usually not on the healthy side. With, my son, Toby constantly stressing healthier eating habits to us over the years, I felt like I should continue that with his little brother, now that he’s away at college. I think he’d be proud of this breakfast casserole with strawberries, bananas, and oatmeal!
Fruit has become a staple in our home, even as expensive as some of it can get. With this recipe, you’ll be able to stay under budget thanks to the bananas and oatmeal and most times, you can find the strawberries on sale. Also, the chocolate chips are optional but if you get the mini ones in dark chocolate, there are benefits. If you want a substitute, go with blueberries. Blueberries are so healthy for you but they are expensive. I personally recommend buying them frozen. They seem to retain their original state and they are much more affordable that way.
What are some of your favorite casseroles that are on the healthier side? I’m always open to trying new things and would love to hear what you make!
- 2 Cups Oatmeal
- ½ Cup plus 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 ½ teas. Cinnamon
- ½ teas. Salt
- 1 teas. Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Mini Chocolate Chips (optional)
- ½ Cup Sliced Almonds
- 1 ½ Cups Strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1 Banana, thinly sliced
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp. Butter, melted
- 1 ½ teas. Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375˚.
- In a bowl combine the Oatmeal, ½ cup Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Salt, Baking Powder, ¾ of the Chocolate Chips and all but 2 Tbsp. of the Almonds
- Mix in ¾ of the Strawberry slices and ½ of the Banana slices separating them so they don’t clump together.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8x8 inch baking dish and distribute evenly.
- Top with the remaining Strawberry Slices, Banana slices and Chocolate Chips.
- In the bowl beat the Egg and add the melted Butter, Milk and Vanilla.
- Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish evenly coating the oatmeal.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining Almond Slices and Brown Sugar. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes until the almonds are toasted and the top is slightly browned.
- Let cool 5 minutes before cutting into squares.
Leave a Comment