Valentine’s Day is around the corner and while me and my husband don’t celebrate the day much, my son still does at school. We usually go candy-free and hand out pencils or something with his Valentine’s cards but this year, we are opting for these super cute Cupid Bites. It’s a super easy homemade shortbread recipe, dressed up with these bags with sweet Valentine’s Day printables.
These tiny shortbread treats are sure to make anyone smile. Enjoy a handful with your coffee or share the tiny love with your children. Little hands can even help you fill the Wilton bags! With Truett’s class having over 20 kids in it, which is HUGE for our small school, I’m becoming smarter at coming up with budget friendly ideas that are still cute and fun. The great thing about shortbread, is that it’s not overly sweet but by adding in some of the sprinkles, they feel like they are getting a big treat!
What are y’all creating for Valentine’s Day? Any treats or crafts? Let me know ’cause I’d love to hear about them. Happy Valentine’s Day y’all!
- 1¼ cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter (chilled)
- 4 tablespoonscolored sprinkles (I used red and white jimmies)
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour and sugar. Use a pastry blender to cut in butter until you have fine crumbs.
- Begin to form your mixture into a ball. You may or may no need to add a little water to get the ball to form and prevent the mixture from cracking. (Don't give up here!) Add a little at a time until the mixture holds together as a ball. Use your hands if you need to!
- Place your dough ball onto an ungreased cookie sheet. I like to roll (with a rolling pin)and pat my dough into a rectangle. Hand patting helps me to keep the edges from cracking. The size is around 8" x 8"
- Cut into ½" squares and separate the squares on the cookie sheet. I added in a few hearts for fun and used the scraps to make additional bites.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until the bottoms begin to brown.
- Transfer to wax paper on a wire rack to cool.
- To print the bag topper, you will need adobe acrobat.
- Print the Happy Valentine's Day cards and make sure you uncheck the "fit to page" or "scale to fit" option in your print dialogue box. If you print at original size, the tags measure 3.5" wide x 4" tall. You can print four tags on one page.
- Once the bites are cooled, place them into treat bags. I always fold over my bags and staple them shut before adding the top tag.
- Cut and fold the bag toppers and affix to the bag with double stick tape on each side.
- Share the love!
Makes 120-150 bites. I was able to fill 8 bags. Or you can use the recipe to fill about a dozen cupcake cups and serve.