Some folks look to travel for their summer fun but one of our happiest times is when we’re out in the backyard grilling. There’s just something about the west Texas summer evenings and food that can bring a family together!
I’m super excited to be an ambassador for Sanderson Farms because who doesn’t want an excuse to grill some chicken, y’all?! That’s where these super tasty grilled lemon chicken kabobs come in! Around here, we don’t wait for weekends to grill! Kabobs are a family favorite because they’re ‘finger food’. We like to just grab things and eat instead of getting all formal with silverware!
We adapted this recipe from the Lemon Chicken Kabobs recipe on the Sanderson Farms website. Basically, we swapped out the onion & garlic for mushrooms. That’s it! I love how easy these were to make and boy were they packed with flavor. The marinade is what gave them all the flavor and using a resealable plastic bag makes cleanup a breeze! The longer you let marinade, the more flavor! We let them sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Simply slice up your bell pepper and if you’re using mushrooms like we did, I highly recommend you let them sit in some butter & garlic marinade! If you’re trying to make it all healthy, use olive oil. We just figured since the whole meal is pretty darn healthy, we’d splurge on a little butter.
Once you have everything marinated and sliced, it’s time to skewer them. You can use metal skewers but we love to use bamboo skewers. We soak them in water for a good 30 minutes at minimum. Here’s a tip to remember: if you soak them all, put any leftover skewers in a freezer baggie, in the freezer and the next time you need them, they’ll be good to go! No need to soak again.
We layered green bell pepper, chicken, red bell pepper, mushroom, and so on.
FIRE UP THAT GRILL Y’ALL!! If you’re not able to grill them outside, you can use the oven. Just bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 minutes or until chicken is to an internal temperature of 165°F.
This is my favorite time because while the chicken kabobs are grilling, we are shooting some hoops, pitching horseshoes, or sitting around telling stories. You can smell the smoke from the grill and the lemon chicken marinade, all while listening to some Marty Robbins in the background. And if you have a good griller, they’ll take a skewer off early so that everybody can taste test it!
I’ve made no secret about how I’m really trying to teach Truett to eat healthier; that healthy cooking doesn’t have to be bland or boring. These grilled lemon chicken kabobs were a perfect example of having a healthier dinner without all the sodium and some delicious vegetables. We followed the meal with some fresh watermelon and cantaloupe. I’d say supper was a success! Truett agreed!
Next time, I think we’re gonna try making this Oven Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Parmesan recipe, except we’re gonna try making grill packets out of foil and roasting it on the grill! It looks tasty and easy to make.
- 3 Sanderson Farms® Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets, cut into 2" x 1" cubes
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped Italian leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers (or 1 green, 1 red), cut into 1½" x 1½" cubes
- 2 packages of mushrooms
- Garlic powder (for mushrooms)
- Butter (for mushrooms)
- olive oil for drizzling on chicken
- In a small bowl, mix lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt and olive oil.
- Melt a little butter (or use olive oil) and mix with some garlic. Garlic powder is fine to use. Let your mushrooms marinade in that and soak it all up.
- Place chicken cubes and lemon zest mixture in a resealable plastic bag. Coat chicken well with marinade. Seal bag and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Preheat oven or grill to 350°F. Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes. Drain. Can also use metal skewers.
- Skewer your chicken, bell pepper, and mushrooms.
- Place chicken skewers on the grill and cook until chicken is done.