My husband is a pretty great fella. He’s always done more than what I think most husbands do and cooking is no exception. He loves to cook breakfast for us and he loves to make his beans in the slow cooker. We cook beans and tortillas quite often because it’s a filler and it’s cheap. We use simple and few ingredients but it always turns out tasty.
You know, my husband taught me to cook a lot of things. I was 16 when we first married and while I picked up a few things from my Mom, Grandma, and Mother-in-Law, it was my husband that helped me learn the basics. Then next thing you know, we were working for a big ol’ ranch where I had to cook for 15-50 people! My husband has always made our beans though. I’ve never had the touch I guess because mine always come out completely tasteless. In fact, this is the first time he shared how he made them, which was super easy! With the cooler days approaching, this will definitely warm the tummy!
Recipe: My Cowboy’s Slow Cooked Beans
- 1 pound of pinto beans
- 1 small can of tomato sauce
- 1 can of Diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions
- handful of Fiesta’s Pinto Bean Seasoning
- 2-4 slices of cooked bacon
- lots of salt
- My husband says to put the beans in your slow cooker first, adding the seasoning, salt, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes next.
- Then add your bacon and plenty of water to cover.
- Cook 6-8 hours on high or 10-12 on low.
We mashed ours the other day to make refried beans to serve with our Barbacoa. They were the best refried beans I’ve ever had!