After finding out that I have high cholesterol, I took immediate action in getting it lower. IMMEDIATE ACTION!
I headed to the store and bought a few things to get me started. I’m not exactly educated when it comes to healthy foods so finding them presented a challenge for me. I called out for help on facebook and was overwhelmed by the support I received. I got all kinds of food tips and encouragement. While I was in the store, I bought what I thought would be healthy alternatives.
- Wheat Bread
- Turkey Bacon
- Egg Beaters
- 2% Milk (although, I still drink a glass of milk–I need the calcium)
- Kashi & Cheerios Cereal
- Smart Butter
- Oatmeal (the Weight control one)
- Fruit–blueberries, apples, bananas
- brown rice
- Pork Tenderloin
- Turkey Breast
Just to name a few…..BUT, don’t think for a minute that I didn’t have unhealthy moments within those 5 days because I did. In fact, After the friday football game, we were starving and the only thing our little store had was fried burritos. Obviously not a good choice but I ate one. <–one. I have eaten 3 before easily so that’s a big thing in itself. I’ve also eaten a slice of pizza and had a little bit of Dr. Pepper, although I did cut out much of the soda and am back on Propel full time (my favorite water). When we went out to eat, I did drink Sweet Tea though.
An example of what I ate in a day:
- Breakfast–I ate cheerios with the 2% milk.
- Snack–Fruit (usually a banana or apple cut up)
- Lunch–This was harder but I bought some turkey breast so I made a sandwich with turkey breast, wheat bread, lettuce and tomatoes. No cheese.
- Snack--I had some Barney Butter smothered on a piece of wheat bread. I am officially addicted to the Barney Butter thanks to Tina.
- Supper–Also a tricky meal. I pretty much made the family their meal and had my own. I baked some salmon with a tiny dab of smart butter and used lemon to really give that umph it needed. No salt. I cooked a bit of brown rice and ate a cauliflower/broccoli mix.
So you see, I did incorporate more healthy than unhealthy and that is what it’s all about. I still had a few gummy treats, Dr. Pepper, Pizza, but in small amounts and just made that the good outweighed the not so great for your body foods and because of those changes, I lost 5 pounds in 5 days. No exercise. Just eating healthier.
My doctor did say that it’s perfectly okay to use Alli so I did. You basically take it before you eat a fatty meal and it helps to capture that fat so your body can rid of it. ALWAYS consult your doctor before taking any kind of medication. I went to my family doctor to discuss my options for my body. You should do the same. I didn’t take it before every meal, in fact, I only took it twice out of those 5 days. Once before that fried burrito and once before the slice of pizza because those were fatty meals. So I can honestly say that while they might have contributed a tiny amount, the food is really what has made the biggest difference.
So with that, how do you eat healthier? I really need ideas for some foods to eat and really, I need some recipes, easy ones. I did find an awesome new site that takes your favorite food and gives you the healthy version. She’s a registered nurse and knows her stuff. The Dashing Dish. Check it out.