Danielle S submitted this recipe for January’s Food Challenge! Enjoy!
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 12 oz. non-dark beer of your choice
- 1 teaspoon DRY or 1 tablespoon FRESH rosemary
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced
- 1/2 pound ham steak, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and cheese in a large mixing bowl. Heat one small-medium skillet on medium heat. Add ham, rosemary and sliced garlic to hot pan allowing ham to crisp. Adjust the heat, depending on your stove, so that the fat renders out of the ham and the garlic doesn’t burn. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease one 9X5X3″ loaf pan. When ham is crispy, allow to cool completely and add to flour mixture. Stir to coat everything with the flour then add the beer. Mix just to combine, pour into prepared loaf pan and pour melted butter over the batter. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick removes cleanly. Cook on wire rack for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan and allow to cool an additional 10 minutes.