We love berries of all kind and to keep things less heavy than a cobbler, we devoured this Mixed Berries and Shortbread Crumble. It’s really not hard to make at all and a nice change from the regular cake and pie desserts. Another favorite here on at My Wooden Spoon, is the Very Berry Pound Cake, and I have no doubt this will become a favorite too.
What are YOUR favorite type of berries?
- 10 tablespoons soft butter
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 and ½ flour
- dash of course sea salt
- 4-6 cups frozen mixed berries, we used blueberries, cherries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries
- Start by rinsing the frozen berries and placing in a medium to large pan on medium low. Use a splatter shield or screen to help with clean up. Stir every few minutes, scraping down the sides. The berries will reduce for about 30 minutes until a thick pie filling like consistency is achieved. This can be done ahead of time and stored in the fridge for a few days.
- While the berries are reducing, preheat oven to 375. Add all of the ingredients at once to an electric mixer. Whip them together until a dough forms a ball. Roll out on a lightly floured surface or press flat with your hands cut into chunks, rounds, squares… Bake for 15-18 minutes or until puffy and slightly golden around the edges.
- When ready to serve, top the berries with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and crumble the shortbread pieces over the top. Enjoy right away.