Tax time is fun huh? Ummmm, no, not when your receipts are kept in a large tote like this……
But if you’re smart, you’ll invest in a unit from The Neat Company – A NeatDesk. I am in love with this document scanner. It’s fast, it’s simple, and it’s smart! I had seen a million times and was thrilled with the opportunity to review it for you guys. While it does have a hefty price tag (under $400 for the desk unit), it’s money well spent in my opinion, especially for anyone who is self-employed!!!
Setup is super easy. It literally took all of 5 minutes to setup, however, I did have to update the software. Our internet is slower than most but it wasn’t too bad.
The desk unit has 3 different slots; Documents, Receipts, and Cards (business). Even if you scan in a document, you can easily change it to a receipt if that’s what it is. I started scanning in gas receipts immediately and was wowed by it! It pulls the info from the receipt and is smart enough to remember certain things about each receipt that may apply to a similar one.
Some other scanning ideas include:
- business cards
- receipts (for bookkeeping, taxes, expense tracking, etc.)
- documents (shot records, contracts, etc.)
- articles & resources you want/need to keep
- tax forms
You totally need receipts if:
- You have gazillions of business cards.
- You wad up receipts in your pocket, then toss them on the counter.
- You hate data entry and bookwork. <—-blech
- You want to get rid of the waste, aka, paper.
Things I love about NeatDesk:
- SIMPLE! SIMPLE! SIMPLE!
- Create folders to categorize receipts, documents, etc.
- Drag and drop.
- Has tax categories for filing which makes tax time even easier!
NeatDesk gets 5 stars from me. I absolutely love everything about it and as long as you sit down and take the time to scan in your receipts, you won’t be dreading your next tax year! Here’s a quick video view of how it works. I blacked out some of the numbers (like my credit card) on the receipt.
Disclosure: NeatDesk provided me with a unit in return for my honest opinions.