What’s better than a sub for Superbowl Sunday? A sandwich that looks like a football! These French rolls are tender and fluffy on the inside, and crisp and flaky on the outside. Don’t worry that they will be too beautiful to eat; they will be inhaled by every football fan in sight.
Give yourself a generous 4 hours to make these rolls since they need to rise twice before shaping the footballs for the best texture and flavor. They can also be made ahead and frozen if you prefer. I realize these seem like a lot of work but really, it’s not that bad and fresh bread is just heavenly!
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon salt, Kosher is recommended
- 6 cups bread flour
- cornmeal, for sprinkling on baking sheets
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- red food coloring , just one drop!