French Toast Casserole, a perfect breakfast for our family. I recently shared the new KitchenAid Recipe Collection Cookbook with you and now want to share one of the recipes. I truly love love love this cookbook. There are so many wonderful, easy recipes that I can’t seem to decide what to make. I chose this because a pretty sweet gal I know recommended it and because we are huge breakfast eaters around here. It’s the one meal I insist that we all eat to insure a full, energy filled day.
The recipe was extremely easy to make. I love that you can prepare it ahead and then bake that morning. In fact, in my opinion, I’d actually bake the night before and let it sit overnight. While it was GREAT out of the oven, we loved it even more once it had cooled off completely. This made a huge pan full and was plenty for our family of 5.
Recipe: French Toast Casserole
- 1 large loaf French bread, cut into 1 1/2″ slices (I basically cut the whole loaf in half like a sub sand.)
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 9 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6-8 medium baking apples, such as McIntosh or Cortland, peeled and sliced (I used regular apples found at my Walmart)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Place bread slices in greased 13×9 glass baking dish or casserole.
- Whisk milk, eggs, 1 cup sugar, vanilla, and salt in large bowl until well blended. Pour half of mixture over bread. Layer apple slices over bread. Pour remaining half of egg mixture over apples.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in small bowl; sprinkle over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350′. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour or until eggs are set. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Another great reason why I love my KitchenAid Refrigerator! That pull out tray is the handiest thing ever!!
It was a little overdone. I have a horrible oven from the 70’s so I can never bake anything right but no matter ’cause it tasted delicious!!! We totally give it 5 stars.
Hope your morning is just as delicious as ours was!