You can literally drive 12hrs from one end to another and still be in Texas. For us, that means our travel destinations are usually within Texas. And you know what? That’s okay because Texas has a ton to offer, much of which you probably don’t even know about! A while back, we traveled to the Rough Creek Lodge & Resort and I’m calling it a home away from home for the Falcon crew (that’s us!).
When you live on a ranch, the last thing you’d expect us to do is make another ranch our travel destination but the keyword in this is RESORT. There are some big differences between our way of life and a place like the Rough Creek Lodge & Resort like fine dining! I mean, I can cook but not like that!
Here are a few key highlights when making the decision to travel here.
- Family oriented – I’m not saying this couldn’t be a couples getaway destination but it’s definitely, in my opinion, more family oriented and we loved that!
- Activities for all – There is something for everyone y’all. Driving range, horseback riding, air rifle, pony rides, tennis, fitness center, basketball, hiking nature trail, canoes, archery, paintball, fishing, ziplining, swimming, and so much more!
- Amazing food – Oh.my.cow. The food is incredible!!! And let me add y’all, one of the coolest things evah, is after dinner, you can ask for a s’mores kit and go outside where the fire pits are and cook you a s’more. omg. awesomeness.
- Kid’s Ranch! – How fun is this. The kiddos can go hang out and play games, ride bikes, and more over at the kid’s ranch. They have a little “shindig” in the evenings so you could have an intimate dinner with your spouse while your kids are at play, supervised!
- Accommodations rock – The rooms are absolutely wonderful and something we loved, was that there are rocking chairs with every cabin (outside) and through the premise. Lots of places to just sit and embrace the beauty of the day.
- Local attractions – This is especially great if you are staying longer than a weekend. Take a ride down the road to Glen Rose and you’ll find some really fun things to see and do like the Dinosaur Valley State Park, the Big Rocks (amazing), museums and more!
If you are going for a weekend, you will have way more to do than you can fit in! Of course, any 10 year old wants to know if there’s swimming so that was one of the first things we checked out. There’s a designated family pool area. Why is it designated ‘family pool’? It’s probably because there’s also an adult pool area for those who don’t care for all the noise and splashing. The family pool has an awesome little lazy river. I stayed in that part most of the time while Truett made laps all around and took advantage of the slide.
They have tubes and noodles available for you to use. Just down the steps there is a concession area where you can order drinks and food. They’ll come to your table too and ask if you need anything. There are coolers with free bottled water in them, yours for the taking. I thought that was a nice touch!
One of the cool things is the Kids Ranch. Kids can go over there anytime but during the evenings, they host a little “party” with food & fun and there is a chaperone during that time. It allowed me and my husband to have an intimate dinner with each other while Truett got to have some fun of his own. There are some free games in there but there are also a few games that require money. They also have video games and bicycles!
We had quite a bit rain during our time there but one thing we were able to do while the rain was slowing down, was fish! It’s catch and release which makes for the chance to catch some big ol’ fish! We had a blast watching everyone catch something all the time! Maybe you’re not sure how to bait your hook or what type of reel to use to catch certain fish…no worries! They have someone down there a lot of the time who can help you with all those things! He’ll even bait your hook for you and take your fish off for you!
I have to say, though, one of the best parts of this trip was the fine dining, which Rough Creek Lodge is known for. The food was simply outstanding and truly deserved a standing ovation every time. You can’t go wrong with whatever you decide to order because it’s all absolutely mouthwatering and delicious.
Overall, I’d say Rough Creek Lodge & Resort should be added to your travel list. It’s fun, flavorful, and it really allows you to enjoy the outdoors with your family. One thing to note is that this is a place you can travel to in the winter because literally, the only thing you can’t do at this resort is swim during the winter. Everything else will be doable!
We had a blast and absolutely loved ending our evenings, sitting in the rocking chairs on our balconies, watching the sunset.
Disclosure: I attended the Rough Creek Lodge as part of my partnership with Texas Tourism. All opinions are my own, as always. That’s just how I roll. ;)
Leave a Comment