OMYCOW y’all! I just love Christmas, don’t you? And not for the gifts but for the giving, the colors, and yes, the food! During Thanksgiving, my mom’s lovely neighbor spent days making all kinds of cookies and it just made me want to bake some! Today, I’m sharing these Christmas cookies; Cherry Thumbprint Cookies with Coconut that are a family favorite. This time though, I’m using white Sugar In The Raw Organic White®! Using this sugar has been a huge hit with all you guys and I love hearing about your experience on My Wooden Spoon’s FaceBook page. I greatly appreciate those comments so keep sharing with me, and those recipes too!
Quick recap for those of you who are new to Sugar In The Raw Organic White®, here’s what to know about it…Sugar In the Raw Organic White® works just like regular sugar, however, it is GMO free and Vegan friendly. You don’t use it any different and it’s great for cookies, cakes, pies, etc. It’s still new to me but my Buttermilk Pie turned out awesome using it.
One of my favorite things to do during the Christmas holiday, is to give gifts, anonymously. Sometimes I give very small cash gifts and sometimes I give food, like these cookies. When you box them in a nice Christmas container, with a handwritten note, you are guaranteed to bring a smile to someone’s face this holiday season. Also, another awesome way to use these cookies is for a cookie swap!! How fun is a cookie swap y’all? There are endless cookie recipes so it’s always so much fun to see what everyone brings, and what you go home with.
A quick side note, you can use any jam that suits your taste buds. It doesn’t have to be cherry, so be adventurous! Maybe you know someone that makes a delicious cranberry jam…oh my!! Tis the season for Christmas cookies y’all. I hope you guys have enjoyed some of the recipes I’ve shared with you, using Sugar in the Raw Organic White®. I’ve enjoyed patterning up with them the last couple of months and hope to share more in the future! Enjoy!
- 3 sticks, softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup Sugar In The Raw Organic White®
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
- homemade or purchased Cherry jam
- 1 small egg for the wash (once cookies are formed and filled with jam-but before baked).
- Preheat oven to 350 Sift the flour and salt together and set aside.
- Cream your room temperature butter and cup of sugar together and add vanilla.
- Once combined start to slowly add the flour and salt mixture. You’ll want your mixer on low and to do this slowly to keep the flour from flying and from over mixing.
- You may now add the coconut flakes.
- When together transfer to a clean, dry surface sprinkled with flour.
- Roll or pat the dough into a large flat piece, cover and place in the refrigerator for about a half hour (a few hours is also fine).
- While the dough is chilling, whisk the egg and add in a dash of water together. You’ll want the bowl to be big enough that you can coat each cookie before it goes on the baking sheet.
- Create small balls that are between 1 and 2 inches, the larger the cookie the longer they’ll take to bake, if you make them on the smaller side you’ll have more cookies in the end-the choice is yours!
- Once rolled run each cookie through the egg and water mixture then place on the sheet.
- Using your thumb gently press into the center of the ball, you may also use a tool, such as a honeycomb or teaspoon for more uniform wells.
- When pressed, add your cherry jam to the centers.
- Bake 15-28 minutes (The wide range depends on size… so watch your first tray closely to see how long it takes. You’ll want them to be golden brown on the tops.
In The Raw®, where sweetness runs in the family!
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by In The Raw®, via Mode Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of In The Raw®.