If you’ve followed me long enough, you know that we love to grill year ’round. While you can totally put this Texas Barbecued Chicken in the oven, it’s sooooo much better grilled!
One of the things I love to do, is stock up! We have a huge deep freezer and a smaller deep freezer. I like to bulk buy whole chickens because you can store them in the freezer for a year! We never know when we’ll be entertaining or having a lot of family over so I like to stay prepared and town is a minimum of 30 minutes one way for me. I’d much rather use my dollars towards chicken than on fuel to run to town!
The recipe below is a marinade. If you can take a good 24hrs to marinade chicken, it will have so much more flavor. It’s also important to safely discard the remaining bit of chicken marinade once you start cooking your chicken. Do not reuse it and do NOT use it to baste your chicken while cooking it. Your whole chicken internal temp should be 180′ when it’s done. We are actually cutting our chicken in half so the cooking time may be a little less than if cooking it whole. It took us 1 hour and 45 minutes at 250′ on the grill.
If you like to buy chickens whole and cut up, but not sure the correct way, check out this great video on how to cut up a whole chicken!
We start with a good whole chicken (we prefer Sanderson Farms). We use a deep bowl to place the chicken in and pour the marinade over, then cover and let sit. We’re pretty simple folks so we don’t use a ton of ingredients or fancy ones but we what we do use, usually has lots of flavor! You can substitute ingredients below for your faves but this is one of our favorite whole chicken marinades. ENJOY!
- 1 whole Sanderson Farms Chicken
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup of salad oil
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of grated onion
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cut your whole chicken in half and place in large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mash garlic with salt, then stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour of chicken, cover, and let marinade for up to 24hrs.
- Clean your grill, fire it up, and grill chicken until done. Remember, your internal temp for a whole chicken is 180'.
- Discard your marinade. Do not baste or reuse!
- You can mop your chicken with sauce while cooking it. We usually do not do this and just let the marinade flavors come through.
- Grill at 250' for about 1 hour and 45 minutes or until internal temp reaches 180'.