On cold days, there is nothing better than a bowl of chili, a movie, and your favorite blanket! Texas chili is always great but for the winter weather, I wanted to share a white bean chili that requires a lot less tums after it’s consumed!
The great thing about this, is you can use any beans you want but the combination in this recipe, is quite tasty. Not only that, you can use precooked freezer chicken. Let me explain..
One of my goals for this new year, is to do more freezer cooking. You spend a day cooking up pounds of chicken and ground beef, seal it up into family portions for cooking, and freeze. When you need some, you just grab a bag out and toss into whatever you’re cooking up. In this case, I precooked and packaged some shredded chicken. I simply tossed the chicken, along with the other ingredients, into a slow cooker and then did nothing. Just like I like y’all! I have been inspired by some of my more frugal friends; Vicki, Denise, Jenn, and Amy. All these ladies are clever. They freeze, offer quick cooking solutions, and use a slow cooker often. I hope to do more freezer cooking that involves premade casseroles, soups, and more. One step at a time yes?
Our beef is part of income (as with most ranch jobs) so we usually have a freezer full, but we buy our chicken at Walmart; usually the 3lb bags of chicken breasts, or larger. I always try to catch them on rollback too! Since I already had some ground beef cooked up and frozen, I through a little bit in that too just to make it even more hearty but you don’t need to do that if you don’t want. Beans are about as a frugal as you can get but very filling so I know my guys won’t be hungry after eating this. The rest is tomatoes and seasonings. This actually made enough for us to freeze some for later! SCORE!
Hope your bunch enjoys this white bean chili as much as mine do! And if you have any freezer cooking tips/recipes, I’m all ears!
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups butter beans
- 2 cups chick peas
- 2 cups white kidney beans
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 28oz can of whole tomatoes, crushed in liquid
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 beer
- black pepper, to taste
- chili powder, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- Take your shredded, cooked chicken out of freezer and place in slow cooker. If you haven't precooked it, simply cook it up first.
- Add the beer, onion, tomato paste, seasonings, broth, and rinsed beans to slow cooker. You may need to add a little water at a time but try not to add too much.
- Mix all well and simmer for a few hours, stirring occasionally. The longer it sits, the better the flavor is. Totally optional, but you can top with some cheddar cheese and sour cream.